Flying Virgin to the Gold Coast


Old and new, spotting from the Melbourne lounge.


After a week of staying put I needed to fly somewhere as I had "itchy feet" and nothing would satisfy me like sitting on a aeroplane would.

I decided that Coolangatta was the place to go as it was very feasible and it's a nice flight with the perfect timing for those with a flying addiction like me, not too long and not too short.


I was very eager to get to the airport in the morning as it's been quite a while that I haven't set foot inside a VA flight as well as hearing fantastic comments regarding the new section of the MEL lounge had me buzzing on my way to the airport.


My journey to MEL was a very smooth one indeed, predicting that it would be chaotic on the Tullamarine freeway I was faced with nothing but a cruise journey which took 30 minutes with no congestion leading into the short term car park. I could see VA were promoting their new Valet service located on level two of Melbourne's short term/ multi level long term car par but decided to give that a miss this time round.


Inside the T3 the terminal was buzzing with an array of people waiting to checkin and bag drop, It was times like that I was glad to have status as premium pax were able to walk straight up to the dedicated bag drop lanes and go from there. I made my way down the escalators and veered left towards the lounge.


I approached the service desk and asked for my board pass which was processed very swiftly by the lovely angels. The lounge atmosphere was airy and spacious as I ventured around trying to find a seat by the large windows. The partially finished lounge which is still under renovation features a coffee bar away from the buffet area which divides passengers amongst different sections of the lounge which helps ease congestion and improves the flow of passengers throughout the area.



Hobart Honey taking me to Coolangatta.



My flight departed from gate one in the main pier (which also happens to by my favourite pier as it's not isolated as the other side) which meant I left the lounge 3 minutes prior boarding time, expressed my way through security via the priority line and was at the gate in a record time of 1 1/2 minutes, I didn't even get stopped for an explosive test!



Looking after the business cabin today would be cabin supervisor Brett who paid very high attention to detail, attentive and ensured I was looked after throughout the flight who commenced the service by offering a choice between water or orange juice as well as proceeded to tell me that it would be a snack flight and I had the choices of either a corn fritter with smoked salmon, or finger sandwiches with cucumber and cheese also accompanied by a warm almond and blueberry muffin and fresh fruits.



 As the aroma of food started to fill the cabin, Brett emerged a few minutes later from the galley with a smile and a bright purple tray in which he then proceeded to place on my tray table.  I could see some glances in my direction as Brett reconfirmed what I had ordered. 


The standard meal presentation onboard a 737 business class offering. 

A closer look at the delicious corn fritter and smoked salmon dish. 



On my flight today there were 7 upgrades meaning that all 8 seats in business were occupied and due to that I was the only passenger that was catered for. Brett individually told the passengers there would be no catering available but the passengers were welcome to select any items from the BOB (buy on board) menu which he  handed out to the other passengers.













Very nicely presented and some great combo's featured in the eye catching menu.





Due to strong northerly winds MEL was reduced to one runway for take off and departure meaning we were 45 minutes behind schedule, our captain ensured she would try to make up time in the air. As I was chatting to Brett he found out I was doing a 1 hour turn around so throughout the flightBrett kept updating me personally on the time we would be landing.


Its a full flight today! 

Plenty of legroom in Business. 

Staying hydrated throughout the flight.

We started decent into a cloudy and gloomy Coolangatta 30 minutes behind schedule with a very smooth touchdown although we kept gliding down the runway while the sounds of the engines overpowered the gentle whispers in the entire cabin until be began to slow down and veer left towards the terminal.

For those who have never been to Coolangatta, there are no aerobridges so deplaning is done via stairs the the front and back of the plane requiring a short walk towards the terminal.


I spent roughly 30 minutes in the lounge until boarding was called over the PA, we would be departing from gate 2 which was located right in front of the lounge. I queued in the priority lane while I heard a gentleman in the general lane say "damn Chinese tourists who can't line up" in which I corrected him that I was Australian and travelling in business class with a smile in which the gate agent ushered me over with a humongous smile on her face.

Once again I was faced with a pre flight workout before I reached the plane and was greeted by Kayne and Shane who was the cabin supervisor. I instantly recognised both of them from previous flights as I sat down in my seat. The standard business class procedures commenced while I sat and waited for the rest of the passengers to board and to my surprise the lovely racist gentleman was waiting to head down the aisle as I gestured my glass of white wine to him.


Our flight departure time was 11:55AM - five minutes short of the "lunch" flights. Shane asked if I would like to try the snack and he offered a choice between a mezze plate and a ham and sauerkraut sandwich.

I chose the mezze plate which came with a fruit bowl and a warm blueberry and almond cupcake.

A closer look at the mezze plate. 

Would you like your muffin buttered? 

The flight was a smooth and enjoyable flight as Shane made his way around the cabin and ensured drinks were topped up as well as offer galaxy tabs to the other two guests in the cabin. 

I asked Shane for a iced tea which took him by surprise which he said he would go and make one until he saw me chuckle which bought a look of confusion to his face.  

I told Shane I should of been more specific and told him I wanted the ice tea from the economy menu in which he chuckled and said he would of made me a actual fresh iced tea. 

Its made exclusively for Virgin Australia.


I snuck in a quick nap and woke just as the captain made the call for descent in which I thanked Shane for looking after me again and hoped to have him on one of my future flights. Overall a very smooth and relaxing flight by Virgin in which I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment